Monday, November 19, 2007

and the Jammie goes to...

Every year I go to the Jammies and every year i lose. Thats actually a lie because I missed a year when I fell down the stairs running to go watch LOST on tv and broke my foot. Either way, I think it's rigged.

Jammies? What are these Jammies you speak of? Well, in about April, every year CJAM holds a recognition party for the volunteer programmers. At this party people socialize, there's free food, door prizes, free drinks (two per person, I can deal), and then the main event. The awarding of the Jammies. Much like a Grammy, a Jammie is given to different programmers in different genres of music or catagories of radio that have excelled that particular year. This is what a Jammie looks like EDITOR'S NOTE* this is not my jammie, as I have stated before I have been robbed on several occasions, I stole this from Aaron Feldman, host of Semi Colon Closed Bracket*

The different Catagories are:
Best Indie Rock
Best Special Interest
Best Electronic
Best Punk/Hard Rock
Best Urban
Best Music Variety
Best Spoken Word
Best Ethno Cultural
Best New Show

Every show is nominated for at least one award every year, and depending on the size of the field one or more awards are handed out. Since the indie rock field is so big they handed out three last year, yes yes robbed again! The awards are given to the show who gets the most votes from listeners. Voting is done online at CJAM.ca, here is an old sample of what a form would look like, HERE.

The Jammies are always a fun time and even though I have not won a Jammie yet -mistakes have been made I assume- I still really enjoy going and it's the highlight of my school year. So, cross your fingers for me this year....

No comments: