Monday, November 19, 2007

Playlist #8 - Special Post Worthy Edition

Oh, this is a special edition of the Soundoff College Radio playlist. Why is it special you ask? Well it's special because I had a special guest in the studio today and really only had to pick half the songs for my show; the other half were chosen by my guest. Adam Marz, lead singer of the Windsor rock outfit Solidarity, stopped by my show this morning to talk to me about a CD release party he is going to be apart of this weekend.

On a side note, the music he brought in was really well played, well recorded, well produced etc etc, but wasn't really my cup of tea. The reason I said yes to him when he asked if he could talk about the show wasn't because I am a nice guy, it's because I think it is really important to support local artists. Seeing as I have the means to reach over two million people for an hour and a half every Monday, I see it as almost my duty to help out local acts as much as I can as an ambassador of CJAM because without local acts, where does music grow from?

Anyways, back to the show itself. Adam brought in cds from the three bands playing the show, which is happening at the Chubby Pickle on Saturday (info here). I played two songs from each of Hail the Villian (from Oshawa, Ontario off their "Population: Declining" CD), Solidarity (off of their "Materializer" CD) and finally Ontology (from Windsor, Ontario off of their CD "Shotgun" which is being released that night).

Adam and I got to chat for about an hour about the event, between sets of music, and I think really got the show out there so hopefully it does well this weekend. I also got to play music I wanted to for the last half hour, so check out everything from the Evaporators and down for the usually tunes I play each week.

Here's the goods.


iron and wine - pagan angel and a borrowed car
sigor ros - samskeyti
ontology - shotgun*
ontology - compromise*
burn the 8 track - fear of falling skies*
hail the villian - runaway*
hail the villian - mission control*
band of horses - noones gonna love you
solidarity - human*
solidarity - bittergreen*
the evaporators - tellin youth the truth*
mad cowboys - askin for it*
the ex boyfriends - the only thing I can give you is everything*
specials - pressure drop
locusts have no king - cruelty is king*
mohawk lodge - hearts of lovers*
spoon - sister jack

* = Cancon

OH! And I also got a call in for a request today, tres exciting.

edit: I made a mistake in the blog, and also several times on the air, I wrong stated the band as "Hail the Thief" when the bands name is "Hail the Villian". The editor regrets this mistake and will try and be more careful in the future

No comments: